Monday, April 16, 2012

Fallout


December of 2011

So… Alien Apocalypse… And we thought it was an invasion. They left. They just… left. Three months of almost total blackout worldwide. Their arrival ruined the world’s electrical systems. So glad I don’t keep my money in a back. All those ones and zeros that made up many many dollars turned to plain zeros.

Apparently, the aliens made some apology for their presence being disruptive. By disruptive, I mean the ruined and failed technology, and oh the most wonderful part, foreign diseases. So sorry. Now we really do have an apocalypse. Small generators in strategic places give some access to TV or radio for the few places in the world not affected by the EM devastation. Glad I had added one in for my loft a few years ago as a precaution. I get to listen to the reports of widespread disease. It has started to decimate some populations. The government and military or in disarray trying to maintain order.

I still have no communication or orders for any missions. Maybe they have given up on me or assume I died after all. Good. I’ll watch the fallout from the safety of my den while I retrain myself back to fit form. I’ve been to see Patrick a couple more times, cautious not to come into contact with anyone diseased. Apparently, though, I have a better immune system. Patrick merely commented that I am special like that. I suppose maybe so is he and others like us. We still have not mentioned this openly to each other. I am still uncertain about how much I can trust him, though that trust is slowly growing.

Mostly healed, I trudge through the snow of early December thinking how so much of Chicago is starting to look like those movies of post-apocalyptic Earth… or that game… Fallout. Ok, maybe not quite that bad, but I feel it will get there before it gets any better. I stock up on supplies, and clean weapons and liquidate some prize items in the black market for cash which allows me to buy some great black market gear that I would normally only be issued on missions. I do odd jobs no one wants to do for extra money with no questions. I stay local for now. I don’t want to tap my actual resources yet. It might tip off where I am and that I live. But I am also not without resources. As a backup, I have a box with emergency spare … stuff. A couple passports that haven’t expired yet and some money from a few places in the world, mostly US though. My dead mentor had always taught me to plant emergency back-up in safe places that even my government has no access to… just in case.

Ya… in case of something like this. Aliens invade us, but didn’t mean to and left behind disease with an apology.

Governments assure their citizens through print media that we will be back online, so to speak, by January or February. If the disease doesn’t wipe out populations, freezing through the winter certainly will. Hope my little generator holds out.

No comments:

Post a Comment